1) You’re a well known socialite and a former hedge fund manager, how have these experiences prepared you in launching your own cosmetics company?
Finance is a great skill set for anyone to have – especially if you’re looking to start your own business and potentially get investors involved. Aside from being the backbone of any successful venture, it taught me not only how to work with other people, but the importance of working with the right people. I was very particular when it came to the formulations of all of my products and spent a great deal of time doing my due diligence to seek out those that truly are at the top of the game in terms of skincare innovation. I’ve also been very fortunate to have had access to some of the most luxurious skincare products in the world, so taking what I know from personal experience and melding it with my business savvy I think put me in a unique position to start a fantastic skincare brand.
2) It’s true that necessity is the mother of invention. The story behind the brand is a very memorable and interesting one. Could you tell us a little more about it?
Sure! Three years ago my toiletries were confiscated by airport security because of TSA requirements. This was on a trip to Deauville for a friend’s wedding and when I landed in France I immediately bought a whole new range of skincare products only to end up covered in hives. Clearly I had an awful reaction. I was determined that this was not going to ever happen to me—or anyone I knew—again so on my flight home, I sketched out out a luxury, travel-friendly toiletry kit, that could get past the TSA, while being conveniently chic (the packaging was inspired by one of my favorite Calvin Klein clutches)…and so the It Kit was born.
3) The products work together and complement each other but if you had to choose one which would be your favorite product from the line?
That’s like picking a favorite child – impossible! The It Kit really has everything you need in one easy, portable container so there’s no need to pick and choose favorites. It’s really a system that works like a great cocktail – mix it together for the best results.
4) Alpine Rose Botanical Technology is an integral part to all your products. Can you elaborate a little more on how it works and the benefits of using it?
The stem cells from the Alpine Rose are often referred to as longevity botanicals because they’re antioxidant-loaded molecules that help the plant endure punitive conditions, including extreme cold, relentless UV rays, and severe dryness in the High Alps. These very same stems cells can work wonders on our skin, which benefits from the plant’s resiliency in an anti-aging capacity. The Alpine Rose was combined with our anti-age patented tri-peptide the BioCellular Peptide, which has a lot of clinical studies which show it reduces fine lines and wrinkles as well as a dramatic reduction in free radicals.
5) The “V” in vbeaute stands for victory. How can women claim their victories? Do you have any advice for women who may want to start a career in beauty?
V is Your victory over time! I am a big believer that women can do anything they want if they put their minds to it. As women we need to empower each other and remember that the sky is the limit. Withvbeaute I sought to help women feel more confident and I think I have achieved that by giving them the gift of fantastic skin.
6) vBeaute is approaching it’s one year anniversary (Congratulations!) do you have any plans? Moving forward, where would you like to see the line go?
Up next is a clear, anti-aging tinting gloss, Lip Spread, which launches in late September – we can’t wait to share it with the world! Then, for early spring, we are launching a series of colored glosses. We also have a zinc based SPF in the works that will meet all the new FDA regulations. That said, vbeaute is about simplicity, ease, and convenience. We don’t think women should be spending hundreds of dollars on products that they don’t need, so we don’t envision a large SKU-base. Who has the time – or wants – to mess around with a ton of needless products!